Michael Winkelman(No date) Retrieved November 13th.
From http://www.asu.edu/clas/shesc/projects/bajaethnography/shock.htm
SUMMARY
If immigrants are not able to adapt to new environment, they maybe has some psychological and physiological reactions that caused by culture shock. When psychological and physiological systems interact, both of them will be ill. Culture adaption should depend on personal tolerance to cross-culture. Your willingness to learn new culture is also important. Because ambiguity is major reason resulting in stress, learning how to accept ambiguity is a way to adapt yourselves to new environment but you do not need to abandon your identity.
Reflection
I totally agree with this author’s viewpoint, because I have same symptom as he mentions when I transferred to another school only from one city to another city. I was easier to become disappointed and get sick during the time I have not adopted to the new condition. Maybe also that is the first time I changed my life style, so I needed to take long time to change my attitude. Once I used to expose myself to new environment, I can deal with this problem easier.
5 則留言:
Wow Could I share my thoughts after reading your reflection. I'm wondering the relation between transferring and traveling (wow an alliteration here). Since both involve moving from one place to the another. The differences are one is mostly voluntary and temporary. Maybe, traveling is a good way to cure emotions that the other causes.
I could help but think about "Spirited Away"(神隱少女)。It's very interesting that the Japaneses come to Taiwan for traveling in Jioufen九份 taken as a background in the animation. It's like these temporary tourists try to find something in this old village to comfort their nostalgic melancholy.
This topic remind me of what I encountered in this summer vacation in America. Life there was difficult for me to get used to the new environment at first. Also, my physical reactions started to go wrong. After two weeks of adaption, everything went back to normal. So, I can totally understand what this essay meant.
In this article, it says that we do not have to change our identity while approaching another culture.
In addition, showing respect to other culture is also an vital concept.
I think people who suffering from the discomfort causing by culture shock can also improve this situation by asking for psychological accommodation or treatment.With the accompany of other people, the discomfort will be decresed.
張貼留言